Regional Plan Amendments
There are a number of triggers that cause amendments to the Regional Plan including:
- Five-Year Update – NRS 278.0272(7) requires the Regional Planning Commission (RPC) update the Regional Plan not less than every five (5) years and forward proposed amendments to the RPGB for adoption.
- Annual Review – NRS 278.0272(7) also requires the RPC to conduct an annual review of the Regional Plan and forward any proposed amendments to the RPGB for adoption. The RPC annually holds a public hearing to receive input from stakeholders, and other interested parties on possible amendments to the Regional Plan.
- Sponsoring Body Request – The RPC may consider an amendment to the Regional Plan at any time if it finds that the proposed amendment is necessary to the health and welfare of the community, or substantially benefits the community in general. Bodies that can sponsor Regional Plan amendments include Reno, Sparks, Washoe County, the Regional Planning Commission (RPC), and the Regional Planning Governing Board (RPGB) per NRS 278.0272(7).
- Statutory Changes – From time to time legislative changes occur to Chapter 278, Sections 278.026-278.029 that necessitate amendments to the Regional Plan to fulfill the revised requirements of state law.
- Private Property Owner Requests to Amend the Truckee Meadows Service Areas (TMSA) & Future Service Areas (FSA) – The Truckee Meadows Service Areas (TMSA) is the defined area within which municipal services and infrastructure will be provided. The purpose of the TMSA is to guide urban and suburban development and ensure the orderly provision of services and infrastructure, to encourage the use and maintenance of existing infrastructure to support infill and new development, and guide urban and suburban development away from unsuitable areas.
The Regional Plan recognizes that from time to time the boundaries of the TMSA may need to be adjusted. The RPGB Regulations on Procedure establish a process that allows private property owners to approach either the local governments or the RPC and request that one of these bodies sponsor or initiate an amendment to the Regional Plan. It is at the discretion of each of the governing bodies to determine the merits of the request before taking action to initiate the amendment. Once the amendment has been initiated, the RPC will conduct a thorough analysis of the merits of the request and hold the required public hearings before making a recommendation to the RPGB for adoption.
Applying to Amend the Boundaries of the TMSA & FSA
At any time private property owners have the right to petition Reno, Sparks, Washoe County, the Regional Planning Commission (RPC), or the Regional Planning Governing Board (RPGB) to consider sponsoring their request to amend the boundaries of the TMSA or FSA.
If a private property owner chooses request either RPC or RPGB sponsorship of a proposal to amendment the boundaries of the TMSA or FSA, the following must be completed and returned to the Regional Planning Agency:
- two original TMSA/FSA applications containing signed original affidavits
- six duplicate applications (photocopies)
Download the application to request an amendment to the TMSA or FSA (PDF)
Download the process and schedule graphic (PDF)